State-funded schools in England can access our fully government-funded NPQs (National Professional Qualifications) to help staff develop and to build internal capacity for improvement. In particular, our new NPQ in Leading Teacher Development is fully scholarship funded for state-funded schools and the next study cohort begins in November 2021.
The new NPQs
NPQs have been given a complete overhaul with updated content and materials.
- The generic Middle Leadership NPQ has been replaced by three brand new specialist qualifications:
- The in-school improvement project has been replaced with a light-touch assessment after the course is complete to reduce workload.
The NPQ in Leading Teacher Development
This new government-backed qualification trains you to lead successful teacher progression and development at school.
- Gain a prestigious, nationally recognised qualification and make progress in your career
- Lead the development of other staff in your school, through coaching, mentoring and designing the highest quality CPD programmes
- Learn flexibly around your job with a blend of online learning, virtual sessions and local face to face workshops across a year of study
- Ideal for those who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school
The course covers four key areas:
- Effective teaching, particularly understanding how to help all teachers use the Early Career Framework for their development
- Designing effective teacher development programmes and sessions
- Delivering effective teacher development programmes and sessions
- Implementation skills to create sustainable, organisation-aligned impact
You can read more in the government framework for this qualification.
Studying a TDT NPQ
Our courses are designed to fit around busy work schedules. Our NPQ in Leading Teacher Development comprises approximately 56 hours of study:
- 30hrs online study: reading, watching, listening and engaging in reflection discussion with peers
- three 4-hour in-person sessions organised in a variety of national locations by our network of local delivery partners
- nine 1.5hr virtual sessions working with your local cohort of participants and your dedicated, expert facilitator
Our new NPQ in Leading Teacher Development is priced at £889 but this is fully covered by Department for Education scholarships for teachers in state funded schools. You can find out more about DfE scholarships here.
Choosing a provider
The Teacher Development Trust is one of nine approved lead providers licensed to deliver these new qualifications. We’ve partnered with leading organisations such as the NAHT union and Forum Strategy and leading Trusts such as Greenshaw Learning Trust and River Learning Trust and TEAL. All of our NPQs help leaders to create a professionally thriving culture where the continuous development of staff is at the heart of school improvement.
We have partnered with Teaching School Hubs, Trusts, Local Authorities, Universities and leading schools around the country to offer these new qualifications. Find out more and start your journey at https://TDTrust.org/npqs