A ground-breaking new Specialist NPQ ideal for those who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school. They may have responsibilities for the development of all teachers across a school or specifically trainees or teachers who are in the first few years of their career
“The NPQLTD has increased my awareness of how the culture and climate of a school significantly contribute to implementing a new initiative.”
NPQ for Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD)
Lead successful teacher progression and development in your school
A ground-breaking new NPQ ideal for those who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school. They may have responsibilities for the development of all teachers across a school or specifically trainees or teachers who are in the first few years of their career
- Gain a nationally recognised, prestigious, government-backed qualification and make progress in your career
- Lead the development of other staff in your school through designing the highest quality, evidence-informed CPD programmes
- Learn flexibly around your job with a blend of online learning, virtual sessions and local face to face workshops
Benefits for you
- Develop expertise in supporting initial teacher training, early career teachers as well as the wider development of all colleagues across the school
- A blended learning experience which fits around your role where you learn and discuss key content online, delivered in a way that suits the busy working lives of teachers and school leaders
- Local virtual and face to face sessions that focus on real problem-solving, creating understanding, connecting with your peers and gaining depth of knowledge
- Ongoing preparation to give you confidence to pass the final assessment
- Facilitation and support from serving school leaders in outstanding schools and delivery at local venues
Benefits for your school or trust
- A skilful and research-informed teacher development professional who can lead the golden thread of initial teacher training, early career development and ongoing professional learning
- Practical capability to get on with the job of developing others with the skills to lead people and teams, creating change and impact
- A professionally aware and informed leader who can make evidence-based decisions and approach leading teacher development in an effective and efficient manner
- The ability to review and evaluate practice in order to bring about change and get the best outcomes for young people and staff within the organisation
A blend of flexible online learning, online discussion, virtual seminars and face to face workshops, for a few hours study each week over 12 months. This is followed by an assessment where you will complete a 1500-word case study assessment to demonstrate your understanding of real leadership and change
Our online modules guide you and your colleagues through understanding and implementing effective approaches to people-powered school improvement.
This completely new Specialist NPQ has an evidence-based curriculum design, connecting you to the latest research and best practice. Our research-rich course covers all of the core content in the government’s Framework for this qualification. It will help you to:
- Understand the evidence underpinning the Early Career Framework and effective teaching throughout a career
- Design effective professional development programmes and environments
- Deliver effective professional development, harnessing expertise and collaboration for maximum impact
- Create and implement effective and sustainable change to drive real improvements in your school
Funding and Cost
Full scholarship funding, with no cost to the participant, for the NPQ in Leading Teacher Development is available to all teachers who meet the following criteria:
- have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school
- all teachers and leaders employed in state-funded schools and state-funded organisations that offer 16 to 19 places in England
- scholarship funding is also available for people who are, or will be, taking on the role of lead mentor for an initial teacher training provider accredited to deliver initial teacher training from September 2024.
Full eligibility for scholarship funding and targeted support funding details HERE
The course fee for all others is £899
Start your application
Start your NPQ journey by completing the application form provided below
The Teacher Development Trust is an internationally leading charity in the fields of staff development and school improvement through people development. Founded by practising teachers and leaders in 2012, we’ve helped hundreds of schools and leaders to create lasting improvement.
Key Information: A Quick Guide
Programme Start Date
Other Key Dates
Express your interest in a TDT NPQ today!
Complete the form below to let us know that you’re interested in joining a future NPQ cohort. We’ll keep you up to date with the latest NPQ announcements and notify you when the 2024/25 application window is open.
Applications for Spring 2024 are now closed.
Express your interest in a TDT NPQ today!
Find a Delivery Partner near you
Our carefully selected network of Delivery Partners deliver our courses across over 21 locations in England, Guernsey and the United Arab Emirates. Some Delivery Partners deliver in more than one region, so please ensure you are able to travel to your chosen local delivery location.
Please use our interactive map below to see where our partners are based and what courses they are offering.
Upcoming Key Dates for current NPQLTD participants
Spring 2023 NPQLTD Cohort
Final Delivery Session
Assessment window start
Assessment window end
Autumn 2023 NPQLTD Cohort