In addition to supporting development in classroom practice, it is important to support career development. This includes providing career routes, but also ensuring that staff value these processes and use them.
- Ensure that multiple career routes are promoted, for example, there should be routes within pastoral roles, within leadership roles, as well as within teaching and learning and expertise in the classroom.
- Ensure that both support staff and teaching staff are supported.
- Enable staff to understand their options – there should be real clarity around all routes.
- Promote trusting and open relationships around appraisal/performance management.
- Be aware of inclusion – career opportunities shouldn’t only come to those who are particularly vocal or proactive.